At Capital City Savings and Credit Union Limited, respect for your privacy and protection of your personal information have always been foremost among our fundamental principles of business. Capital City Savings is committed to safeguarding the personal information of its members, employees and other individuals.
As part of our commitment to you, we have prepared the information in this section to inform you about principles we will follow in collecting, using, disclosing and safeguarding your personal information, and to answer your questions.
- Why do you need my personal information?
- What types of personal information do you collect?
- How do you obtain my personal information?
- Why does Capital City Savings ask for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
- Can I obtain my credit rating?
- How does Capital City Savings protect my personal information?
- Do you share personal information with other companies?
- Do I have any choices about how you use my personal information?
- How do I withdraw consent to use my personal information?
- Who can I contact to access my personal information or if I have questions about use of my personal information?
- How do I ensure accuracy of my personal information?
- Is there anything I can do if I don't want to receive promotional mailings from other companies?
1. Why do you need my personal information?
Capital City Savings needs your personal information to:
- Identify you
- Understand your financial needs
- Provide you with the services and products you request
- Determine your eligibility for products and services
- Research, develop and present products and services that may interest you
- Protect you and the credit union against error and fraud
- Comply with legal requirements
2. What types of personal information do you collect?
Capital City Savings may collect the following information about you, as required:
- Residence information
- Telephone number
- Date of Birth
- Social Insurance Number
- Marital status
- Spouse's name
- Employment information
- Income information
- Asset and liability information
- Credit history
- Transaction history
- Financial plans or goals
3. How do you obtain my personal information?
Most information comes from you directly when you apply for products and services. With your consent, we also obtain information from credit bureaus, other financial institutions and from the references you provide.
The choice to provide us with information is always yours. It is important to know that your decision to withhold information may limit the services we are able to provide you. For example, we require a credit report in order to approve a loan.
4. Why does Capital City Savings ask for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
We ask you for your SIN in order to report interest and dividend income to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency as required by law. Your SIN also helps us to identify you positively. For example, if we ask a credit bureau for information about you, your SIN can help ensure that we receive your information, and not that of another person with the same name.
5. Can I obtain my credit rating?
Your credit rating is supplied to Capital City Savings by Equifax, a private company that deals in financial information. Because your credit rating is the "property" of Equifax, you must contact them directly at 1-800-465-7166 or http://www.equifax.com
6. How does Capital City Savings protect my personal information?
Capital City Savings uses a variety of procedures to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information. In addition to physical measures such as locked storage cabinets, we employ extensive computer security measures. All Capital City Savings employees are required to sign an agreement stating that member confidentiality is a condition of employment. Our suppliers are also obligated to protect any personal information they may access.
7. Do you share personal information with other companies?
Capital City Savings will not disclose your information to a third party without your permission, except for very specific reasons. For example, we are required by Canada Customs and Revenue Agency and other legal authorities to provide them with information.
Capital City Savings is a member of the Canadian credit union system, which operates a number of organizations offering services and products to credit union members. We share information within the credit union system, giving you access to products and services that may be of value to you.
Some of the organizations we share information with include the following:
- The CUMIS Group – CUMIS, CUIS, MemberCare
- Credential Group – Ethical Funds, Credential Asset Management, Credential Securities
- Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation
- Credit Union Central of Alberta
- Credit Union Electronic Transaction Services (CUETS)
- Concentra Financial
Capital City Savings also uses other external suppliers for specific tasks that require your personal information, such as statement mailing, member research and cheque printing. Before we release any personal information, we ensure that the organization will abide by our high standards for protection of your privacy.
Capital City Savings does not sell lists of personal information.
8. Do I have any choices about how you use my personal information?
When you supply us with personal information, we assume you are giving your consent for Capital City Savings to collect, use and disclose this information for routine purposes. You can choose to provide us with some or all of your personal information. You can also withdraw your consent to use of your information at any time, providing no legal requirements prevent this. However, if you do not consent to certain uses of information, or if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with particular products or services.
You can direct Capital City Savings not to share your personal information with our service providers for marketing purposes. Also, while we feel you may benefit by learning about financial products and services, you may choose not to receive promotional offers and/or marketing materials from Capital City Savings via mail, email or telephone. Due to processing limitations, you will continue to receive marketing materials enclosed with your member statement.
9. How do I withdraw consent to use my personal information?
If you choose not to receive direct marketing promotions/offers from us or choose not to share your personal information with our service providers, you must notify Capital City Savings by phoning our Member Contact Centre at 496-2000. We will explain your options and record and respect your choices.
10. Who can I contact to access my personal information or if I have questions about use of my personal information?
You already have access to much of your personal information through your member statements and self-service systems such as Net Banking. You can request other types of information by calling (780) 496-2000 or toll free 1-877-496-2151.
You may request copies of personal information through the Privacy Officer by written request. (search fee will apply). In a few specific circumstances, we may not be able to provide the information you request, for example, if it contains reference to another individual or if we are prohibited by law.
11. How do I ensure accuracy of my personal information?
You can help us keep your personal information accurate by informing us of changes promptly (for example, if your name or your address changes). If changes in your personal information are required, please advise us and Capital City Savings will make the appropriate revisions.
12. Is there anything I can do if I don't want to receive promotional mailings from other companies?
The Canadian Marketing Association (CMA) keeps a list of subscribed individuals who do not wish to receive mailings. This list is then shared with organizations who are members of the CMA. Organizations who are members of the CMA will not send mailings to the individuals on this list.
To contact the CMA to add your name to the list you may:
- Visit the website and register online at www.cma.org
- Write directly to the Canadian Marketing Association stating you would like to be removed off direct marketing list. The address is P.O. Box 706 Don Mills, Ontario M3C2T6
- Fax them of your request at 416-441-4062
Please note that Capital City Savings is not responsible for the maintenance of the CMA list nor is Capital City Savings affiliated directly with the mail outs from the organizations belonging to the CMA.